Summary: The Police Camera Act requires law enforcement agencies to adopt the use of police body cameras and/or police cruiser-mounted cameras.
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE
This Act shall be called the “Police Camera Act.”
SECTION 2. PURPOSE
The purpose of this Act is to require the use of video cameras to record interactions between police and others in order to curtail disputes about what happened, thereby improving prosecution of the guilty while affording protection to the innocent.
SECTION 3. POLICE CAMERAS
After section XXX, the following new section XXX shall be inserted:
(A) DEFINITIONS—In this section:
1. “Marked police vehicle” means an automobile, light truck or truck that displays graphics, markings or decals identifying the agency or department on a minimum of two sides (front, rear, left, right) and has at least one light on top with 360° visibility.
2. “Mobile video recording system” means a device or system installed or used in a police vehicle or worn by an officer that electronically records visual images depicting activities that take place during a motor vehicle stop or other law enforcement action.
(B) POLICE VEHICLES
1. Every new or used marked police vehicle purchased, leased, or otherwise acquired on or after [date] shall be equipped with a mobile video recording system.
2. Within 60 days of the enactment of this section, the [chief of police] shall rules and regulations to effectuate the provisions of this act.
(C) BODY CAMERAS
1. On or after [date], every uniformed patrol officer shall be equipped with a wearable mobile video recording system.
2. Within 90 days of the enactment of this section, the [chief of police] shall rules and regulations to effectuate the provisions of this act.
SECTION 4. EFFECTIVE DATE
This law shall become effective on July 1, 20XX.