Want a policy platform for your candidacy or organization? Here is a one-page statement that reflects American values and includes economic policies that are all wildly popular:
A Populist Platform for 2014
For the past 30 years, our nation’s economic and political playing field has increasingly favored moneyed interests over the majority. As a result, the gap between the rich and the rest of America has never loomed so large. This is contrary to our fundamental American values.
We hold these truths to be self-evident:
Therefore, to put people back to work and get our economy back on track, we insist that America’s leaders side with the people on these basic economic issues:
1. AGAINST bailing out or further enriching the Wall Street banks; it is imperative to break the grip that Wall Street has held over national public policy.
2. FOR holding accountable the bankers and brokers who defrauded millions of Americans, wrecked the financial system, paid huge bonuses to themselves, and went unpunished.
3. AGAINST cutting either Social Security or Medicare benefits for middle- and working-class families.
4. FOR raising the taxes paid by millionaires and billionaires so that they can contribute their fair share of the costs of national security, educating our children, and protecting our citizens’ health and safety.
5. AGAINST raising taxes on the middle class or small businesses that are struggling to weather the current economic storms.
6. FOR closing tax loopholes that benefit rich special interests; for example, stop rewarding big corporations that ship jobs overseas and eliminate subsidies to the world’s biggest oil companies.
7. In complete SUPPORT of vigorous efforts to create jobs by rebuilding roads, schools, and mass transit, and retaining teachers, firemen, police officers, and other first responders.
America is the greatest nation on Earth. We can do whatever it takes. We can build an economy that benefits all Americans. We can ensure that the American dream endures for the next generation. We can create an economic recovery based on the timeless American values of freedom, opportunity and security…for all