Summary: The Climate Alliance Membership Act requires the state to join the U.S. Climate Alliance, which works towards achieving the environmental goals of the Paris Climate Accord.
Based on Maryland HB 3 (2018)
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE
This Act shall be called the “Climate Alliance Membership Act.”
SECTION 2. FINDINGS AND PURPOSE
(A) FINDINGS—The legislature finds that:
1) 195 countries signed the Paris Agreement on Climate Change, which aims to strengthen the global response to the threat of climate change, including by holding the increase in the global average temperate to be below 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels.
2) The United States signed the Paris Agreement.
3) Donald Trump’s administration has announced its intent to withdraw the United States from the Paris Agreement.
4) Only international cooperation to reduce greenhouse gas emissions can mitigate climate impacts.
5) Fourteen states and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico have joined the U.S. Climate Alliance, committing to the goal of reducing greenhouse gas emissions consistent with the goals of the Paris Agreement.
(B) PURPOSE—This law is enacted to safeguard residents’ health and welfare in the short- and long-term and to achieve environmental justice.
SECTION 3. CLIMATE ALLIANCE MEMBERSHIP
(A) MEMBERSHIP AND WITHDRAWAL
1) On or before July 1, 20XX, the Governor shall take all necessary actions for the state to become a member of the U.S. Climate Alliance.
2) The Governor may withdraw the state from the U.S. Climate Alliance only if the legislature enacts a law to approve the withdrawal.
(B) REPORTING REQUIREMENTS
On or before December 1, 20XX, and on or before December 1 each year thereafter, the Governor shall report to the [Senate Environmental Affairs Committee and the House Environment Committee] on the state’s participation in the U.S. Climate Alliance including any collaborations or partnerships among the alliance members or external stakeholders, and any policies or programs that the alliance has endorsed, undertaken or considered.
SECTION 4. EFFECTIVE DATE
This law shall become effective on June 1, 20XX.